Bubble tea is generally made from from tea with added chewy edible tapioca balls at the bottom and also sometimes fruit. The great thing about bubble tea is that it can be made with a variety of teas and toppings. It’s very easy to make at home and it’s a fun activity to do with friends and family. Try this easy recipe for Bubble Tea using our Peach & Passion Fruit blend.
Time: 45 Minutes
Blend: Peach & Passion Fruit
For 2 servings:
4 Ahmad Tea Peach & Passion Fruit Black Teabags
100g Demerara sugar
100ml Water (for sugar syrup)
½ cup (75g) Black tapioca pearls (5-minute quick cook)
(Finely chopped tinned or fresh fruit, optional)
Wide bubble tea straws
Prepare the Sugar Syrup:
Over medium heat, dissolve demerara sugar and water together and allow to cool
Prepare the Tapioca Pearls:
- Bring 5 cups of water to the boil in a pan
- Slowly add ½ cup of tapioca pearls to boiling water and stir
- Wait until the tapioca pearls float to the surface of the water. Cover the pan
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minute, turn off the heat and leave covered for another 2-3 minutes
- Drain the tapioca pearls and let them rest in cold water for 20 seconds
- Drain and transfer the cooked tapioca pearls to a clean container.
- Add 50ml sugar syrup, allow to cool, then refrigerate until needed
Note: Cooked tapioca should not be stored for longer than 4 hours. After opening the dried tapioca pearls, refrigerate unused portion and use as soon as possible.
Brew the tea
- In a mug, pour 450ml freshly boiled water over 4 teabags
- Allow to brew for 5 minutes and remove the teabags**
- Allow the tea to cool to room temperature.
**Honey or Golden Syrup can be added to the tea when it’s brewing, as an alternative to sugar syrup to sweeten the tea.
Make the bubble tea
- Divide the cooked Tapioca Pearls between two glasses.
- Add 3-4 ice cubes to each glass
- Pour 200ml of cooled, flavoured tea to each glass
- Add 3tbsp evaporated milk and stir
- Add sugar syrup to sweeten, as desired
Drink the bubble tea with a wide straw and enjoy the combination of textures and flavours in this rich, creamy, extravagant drink.